Friday, February 26, 2010

The "Wedding Wall"

The other night, after I left class, I decided to stop at Barnes & Noble bookstore on my way home for a "quick" purchase.

I'd come to the conclusion that it was time to get organized. All of these DIY projects floating around in my head and I had YET to put them all in one reliable place.

The problem is that the wedding industry freaks me out.

Now, to understand how this should make you scratch your head, you should know that years ago, a close friend and I realized we loved weddings so much, we wanted to help people plan them. So, we took some courses and started a business. LIFE pretty much happened, and that idea faded away, but since then, I've planned (or helped plan) and been a member of MANY MANY MANY weddings. Not only that, but I started a nonprofit organization that would assist with the event planning needs of developing nonprofits!

However, once my guy dropped to one knee, all of that history and wisdom apparently flew out the window. What's left is a woman who loves planning other people's weddings and is overwhelmed at the prospect of planning her own. Weird, huh?

Anyway, THIS is what greeted me in Barnes and Noble that fateful evening:


The dreaded "Wedding Wall" or the section of the book giant of over one million books that creeps me out.



I mean, seriously....LOOK AT THAT THING!!! It's hideously overwhelming to just stand in front of. There are about two rows at the top of "wedding planners"...all ridiculously gargantuan. I mean, really....who wants to run around town with a binder the size of the family Bible that sits on coffee tables?! Certainly, not I.



Two hours later (yes, two hours of pouring threw each planner/responsibilities/etiquette/design book imaginable, determining which would give me the biggest bang for my buck), I came across this little winner.



The best part? It was only $17.95 (as opposed to $40 for the other HUGE planners) and it'll fit in my handbag! And, did I mention? The first thing this little blessing told me to do was to save my money and MAKE my own binder for storing everything, using a 2" 3-ring binder with tabbed pocket folders for each aspect of the wedding (photography, catering, cake, etc). *sigh*

Sweet organized-and-frugal bliss.


























No comments:

Post a Comment