Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Long engagements

So, a little while ago, I'd mentioned to the Man that, since we are both really big on academia and reading (he: more into books about history, economics, and philosophy, me: more into fictional novels and autobiographies about social figures), that we should have books as our centerpieces.

I'm almost positive he blanked out at the idea of using his vast collection of books, built over the past ten-plus years, as mere centerpieces on tables lined with people who could care less about Plato's Republic and Warren Buffet's life-story. Oops.

But, the other day, we were sitting at the table chatting and he mentioned that he'd Googled "book centerpieces" and grabbed some great ideas after seeing some cool pics. GOTTA love a man who's into the whole wedding thing (or just wants to make sure we're doing the most cost effective options)!

So, I jumped online and Googled it right there, and came across this blog, written by a girl in Oregon about -- of all things -- her long engagement (October 2008 to July 2010)!

The heavens opened up, the angels began to sing, and alas, I felt I'd found a kindred spirit. Someone who could understand the angst of the long-term betrothal. About having to prepare and in the meantime, balance life and everything.

It's not to so much the part about being engaged for a long time. The Man and I are at peace with our plans and just as happy as can be. It's more or less the response every time I share our wedding date: "When? Why on earth is it so far away?"

While I can understand the natural reaction, the more amused side of me is interested in why anyone else would be concerned with how soon or far away our wedding date is. It's actually really funny, if I stop and ponder on it for a while. From our parents, it makes the most sense. I mean, for pity's sake....grandbabies don't make themselves! LOL

But, from our friends and other family members (and COMPLETE relative strangers, in some cases)...I'm reeeeeally curious as to what the rush is. We happen to be two frugal people who would much rather pay for our wedding and honeymoon in cash rather than credit. Also, I, for one, would love to be done with this Master's program and have him through most of his certifications before having to be inundated with the stress of planning a wedding.

In the end, really, that's our business. The true celebration comes in the commitment for us to spend the rest of our lives together and build a foundation for a lasting marriage. I know people mean well, but I'm grateful most to those who truly share in that celebration without being overly concerned about when it will happen. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking to me! Fortunately for us, people have mostly been supportive about our long engagement, if only because they know that (when we got engaged, and now to a certain extent) we didn't have a lot of extra money so it allows/ed us time to save. That's the reason that I always give too when people ask about the long engagement. School is also an excellent excuse, lol. :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to explain a decision that you and your man agreed upon. In the end, you all are most affected by it, not anyone else. And I know this isn't necessarily in your personality, but to those who ask why you're waiting so long or why you chose to do that, tell them to go f**k themselves and uninvite them to the wedding.

    ReplyDelete