Wednesday, October 21, 2009

This Business About Bridesmaids

Okay, so a friend and I had a conversation a while back about the role of bridesmaids and such. By the end of the conversation, she and I had recounted how many times each of us had actually been a bridesmaid/maid-of-honor, how involved we'd been, and how much money we'd spent on dresses that now hung in the closets. We'd come to a consensus that when one agrees to be her friend's bridesmaid, she in essence is saying that she relinquishes her own for the good of her friend (that's the clean version of what was said anyway).

Basically, whenever I was a bridesmaid, I worked. I treated each friend's wedding as though it were my own, with regard to my commitment. For my sister, I found dresses for everyone and coordinated significant details, even while away at school! And for her and all of my friends, I coordinated the bridal shower and bachelorette activities...stuffed and addressed envelopes...organized and put together favors...the list goes on and on.

And never once was this done begrudgingly. I LOVED seeing my friends happy!

I certainly don't want to be surrounded by negative energy that wouldn't enjoy the process as much as I have in the past. Of course, not every bridesmaid sees the responsibility involved. Many would prefer to just wear a pretty dress and stand at the front of the congregation. And some of your friends don't even want to do that much. Which is why it's sometimes very tricky. Some people see being a bridesmaid as a measure of the friendship...when it truly doesn't have to be the case. I'm way more methodical in my thinking and coordination, so I'm hoping that no one will think too deeply into it all.

In the end, I am going to have to think carefully. I'm fortunate to have many people with whom I am friends, but I don't want to overwhelm anyone with what needs to be done...since I'm totally on the "do-it-yourself" high. I suppose those whom I will ask will be friends who I know will love this process just as much as I do (if not more!) and surround each other (and me) with positivity and encouragement.

It's a dirty job...but not thankless. The reward comes in knowing your loved one had the best day of her life...and even better when you know she'd do the same for you. I don't expect a "perfect" day. I expect a fun and eventful affair with some highs and some lows.

At any rate, I promise not to be a bridezilla! LOL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment