Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Rainy Days

When the Man and I were in the Bahamas, one particular day was filled with rain. We left breakfast and headed to the outdoor patio around the pool only to be disappointed by the downpour.

As we stood there, I, with my bottom lip pouting while holding our beach bag, and him, with his signature frown, staring out from the glass doors to the cafeteria, the sound of the rain drops splattering the pavement was not as soothing as it should have been. We looked at each other.

"Wait one second..." I said, and handed him my bag to hold.

He watched me curiously as I covered my head with my hands (to no avail) and darted to the stand where they distributed beach towels. Under the awning, I requested three towels and turned to survey the pool area. After eyeballing two lounge chairs underneath a wide beach/pool umbrella, I waved to the Man to get his attention.

I pointed to the chairs and shrugged. He shrugged back...and headed to the poolside bar for daiquiris.

That was an interesting time, our sitting with our respective books to read, while under that umbrella, keeping relatively dry. We barely said a word, but occasionally exchanged a smile and a "this is nice". Pretty soon, the rain stopped and the patio filled with people.

I had an epiphany about our relationship today, as I remembered this little incident, and decided there was a moral to this story:

"When life tries to rain on our Happy, I'll grab an umbrella, you get the drinks, and we're gonna make it do what it do, baby!"

I hope we remember that thirty years from now...!

1 comment:

  1. Aww, that's a cute story. I hope that is what me and my fiance would do too!

    ReplyDelete