Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sooo....the whole "September" thing

Okay, so the Man and I starting dating in September of 2006. For me, it was refreshing to be with someone who KNEW what he wanted and wasn't afraid to assert it first. At that time, I'd pretty much given up on being found by "Mr. Right" and was pretty focused on building my nonprofit organization. The Man flat out courted me and I really couldn't refuse his confidence.

So, Labor Day weekend of 2006 (September 1st through 4th), after talking on the phone for about a month, he agreed to take me to the airport as a favor (I paid him gas money) as I was going to Miami...solo (my friends had bailed on the trip but I was still ready for some sun!). While I was down there, the strangest thing happened: I found myself on the phone with him when I should have been out partying! We talked about current events, politics, sports, and basically caught up with what had been going on since we'd last seen each other in our high school Architectural Drafting class (when I'd had a itty bitty little crush on him...). When I returned from Miami, he'd picked me up from the airport, carried my heavy bag to my apartment and then asked if he could take me out to dinner the Friday of the same week (September 8th).

Our first date was at Utopia on U Street, and I remember the orange polo shirt he wore. We had a great time, and ended up going out again the following weekend. In September of 2006, we probably saw each other two to three times a week, and by our date on September 29th, he'd told me that I was his "lady."

Since I didn't believe him (or like being told who I was), I decided to text him the following morning and ask him what was meant by that (all the muddy relationships without clear direction had pretty much left me cynical). He confirmed that that was what he'd said and changed it to a question (good for him) on September 30th.

So, that's the story of September.

No comments:

Post a Comment